Friday, February 25, 2011

Raindrops on Roses

Over the past couple of months, we've gotten a bedtime routine set with Emma. First she gets her diaper changed and pajamas on, and then her sleep sack. Next, she lays on my lap on her Boppy pillow on the couch and drinks her bedtime bottle. As soon as she's done with her bottle, I sing to her until she falls asleep. She's gotten so used to this routine that when her bottle is done, she turns and snuggles in with me, closes her eyes and waits for her song.

I started out with a number of basic lullabies and Sunday school songs, and then one night I tried singing her some songs from The Sound of Music. Turns out that she loves My Favorite Things. I can tell that she likes it because she gets really quiet to listen and sometimes lets out a little contented sigh when I start the first verse. It's very sweet. Nobody tells you when you're a new parent how much babies like repetition. I can't tell you how many times I've sung that song on repeat for the past three months.

Next step: trying to put Emma down to sleep while she's sleepy but still awake (so I am no longer required to sing an entire movie's worth of songs each night). We'll see how it goes...

1 comment:

Linz said...

What a sweet post, Jamie! When I was driving with Adrian to Tampa a couple of weeks ago, I sang the ABC's in a repeating loop for at least thirty minutes!